New parents have lots of things to take care of, apart from the newborn. Picking the right clothes, ensuring the baby gets enough to feed, choosing between formula brands, toys, and of course the diapers. Diapers are things that parents would keep investing money in for years. With myriads of options, choosing one suitable for you and your baby can be challenging. Find tips to identify the best diaper for your baby.
What are the features to look for?
- The main purpose of the diaper is to absorb pee and poop. The more it absorbs the better the diaper is. When it can hold for a long time, it means it does not leak. Such a diaper is the right choice to avoid rashes.
- Breathability: Diapers with breathable materials let air flow in. This is much recommended for babies, as they have very sensitive skin. The breathable materials are also soft, which means the baby feels comfortable.
- Wetness indicator lines: A few diapers have this option. The color of the lines on the diaper changes, most often yellow, to show that the diaper has absorbed its maximum level, or is close to it. This helps parents to identify the time to change the diaper. This feature is useful as sleeping babies would not wake due to wetness, or the best way to schedule diaper changing time during travel.
- Stretch: The diaper should be stretchable. As it keeps absorbing pee, it should stretch. Else it would be too annoying for the baby.
Pro Tip: The right size is what you need to look for in any diaper chosen to ensure you can make the most of these features. The perfect fit would not leave any marks on the skin. A loose fit diaper will be saggy and a tight fit one can lead to rashes.
What are the factors about your baby you need to consider?
It is not only about the diaper size or brand that would assure comfort and safety. The needs of every baby vary, and you need to consider a few factors about your baby too.
- Pee Habits: The frequency of peeing varies for each baby. Even twins have different patterns and frequencies of peeing and pooping. Analyze your child’s pattern and choose a diaper. If your child pees too often the diaper should have more absorbency.
- The weight of the baby also determines the diaper you need to buy. The diaper brands have general size margins. However, if your baby is on the heavier side, you might have to move to the next size. Choose based on the baby’s weight.
- Babies keep growing, and their size can vary even in a few weeks. So do not stock up a size for long. Stocking up for a month is recommended.
- Babies with sensitive skin need ultra-soft diapers.
Cloth or disposable diapers
- Cloth diapers are becoming popular these days as they claim to be rash–free. However, if not washed and dried with care, they can lead to infection and rashes too.
- Disposable diapers are easy to use and can be thrown after use. The need to wash and dry is eliminated.
- Cloth diapers need lots of maintenance.
- The major difference is that disposable diapers are expensive as you need to stock them a lot. The cloth diapers need lots of time, as they need cleaning and maintenance.
Remember: You can choose either reusable cloth diapers or disposable diapers based on your convenience and budget. When there are high features, the price also goes up. You should not also switch between brands without necessity. This can also lead to rashes or inconvenience to kids.